December 7, 2010

Shoot Myself

Anyone who's played on Tenhou for more than, say, 2 minutes consecutively has probably noticed the weird Japanese text buttons at the bottom-right of the playing field.  Man, I love those buttons!  I wish everybody else would use them!  Specifically I wish everybody would use the third one (don't prompt me to call on tiles) because it would make games take way less time.  I leave it on pretty much by default because, seriously, if I already know I'm never going to call on anything I might as well avoid letting everyone know what I've got via conspicuous draw delay.  The first (automatically declare win) is also pretty handy, especially for morons like me who tab out of the game after they declare riichi.  Now I can spend 30 seconds scrolling listlessly through my mp3 playlist!  Yeah!!

That said, these buttons occasionally get me into trouble.  I'm usually pretty good about turning auto-win off if I need to avoid busting someone or I'm looking for a specific 'side' of my wait, but my habit of turning on 'no-call' at the start of every hand occasionally locks me out of a yakupai/dora pon opportunity before I've processed my hand.  Also sometimes I click the button on and off because I'm being wishy-washy about calling, which triggers the 'doubleclick tsumokiri' feature of Tenhou and makes me deal into a houdei baiman for no reason.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAA DUDE WAIT NO

4p progress is slow because I've only played a couple of games since I hit shodan.  I am slightly up in rank points, though, so I am getting somewhere.  I'll probably have an actual update sometime later this week.  I'm sure I won't hit 2dan, but I should be able to improve my rate and make some progress, I think.  xKime's post on "Pechorin's Style Doctrine" has inspired me, so I'm gonna believe in myself and wait for the good results to show themselves over time.  Until then, take care of each other!

3 comments:

  1. But please, don't forget studying mahjong as well. w

    Unless I'm fixated on pinfu, I never have 無鳴き on, because there is always "one" tile that, if it were to come out at the right time, I would call. I think what people should rather focus on, is passing (and discarding, yeah) faster. I pass with virtually no lag. Especially in Janryuumon.

    But 自動和了, I always have it on. Sometimes when I'm not even tenpai, but 1 shanten. If anything, I "turn it off" in cases where I don't want to win off someone in particular. (I don't get fixated on takame, yasume. If the yasume comes out then it's just bad luck)

    There is no way you can increase your rate to 1900 without hitting 2dan, though. w

    I used to be R1925 at 3dan. But then game bulshitted me many times, and I have trouble to stay over the R1800...

    Even players like Pechorin have a "safe area" and as they get more skilled, the safe area goes up. Most 9dan have 8dan as a safe area (i.e, they can go down to 8dan, but no more than that, while they aim to reach 10dan).

    ReplyDelete
  2. My problems with this game go deeper than the doctrine though. Everytime I decide to play, either the lights of my house go out or my connection is cut. I want to lose legitly or not lose at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. >especially for morons like me who tab out of the game after they declare riichi.

    You don't tab out during the other players' discards?

    ReplyDelete