November 3, 2010

Day of Peace

Hi friends!  This session was a good one, to the point where I'm almost afraid to play another game, because fate can't keep smiling on me forever.  I guess I wasn't kidding when I said this post was going to be my comeback.  Not a lot to say about these because things went well. 

Game 1: 1位 辞世テンプレート(+64.0) kent1231(+19.0) 2929(-35.0) H.A(-48.0)
Really strong start.  I wasn't expecting any real challenge after that, but a dealer haneman tsumo put kent1231 within range and I spent the rest of the game trying to pull away.  He came pretty close, and I made a completely boneheaded riichi in the last hand that only paid off because of my dumb luck.  If I had fallen into 2nd there I would have had it coming, haha.
Game 2: 2位 辞世テンプレート(+14.0) NoName(-10.0) tokuton(-51.0) samurank(+47.0)
Probably missed a win in East-2-0 because I decided not to cut the 3s.  I figured someone probably had a pair and would win off of it or advance their hand if I cut it.  I was only half right, though, so if I had cut it tokuton probably would have dealt in right after.  I took the tsumo win in East-3-3 because 1st was probably not going to happen.  Pulling myself up to 2nd was better than having someone else bust tokuton and ending in 3rd.
Game 3: 2位 辞世テンプレート(+15.0) Koton(+56.0) core&A(-58.0) ccc(-13.0)
I couldn't not take the win in the last hand, even if it stuck me in 2nd.  It was the ideal tile, just not from the ideal person.
Game 4: 2位 辞世テンプレート(0.0) kogado(-23.0) ampere(+57.0) H@ssy(-34.0)
Two haneman tsumos put ampere comfortably in 1st.  I was East for the final hand, so an upset was theoretically possible, but two calls (one of which was a pon on the dora) by kogado made me decide to just bail and take 2nd.  He didn't even get into tenpai until the final draw so I didn't actually need to, but that's how it goes.  I guess his aggression backfired on him.
Game 5: 1位 辞世テンプレート(+54.0) wildwild(-16.0) yura93(+9.0) eiri(-47.0)
eirisux
Game 6: 1位 辞世テンプレート(+46.0) quayso(-12.0) zardoz(-46.0) ゆう☆★(+12.0)
Not sure why I made that kan in East-1.  That could have gone real bad.  zardoz's kan went bad (for him) in East-3.  Dumb luck again, I guess.
Game 7: 1位 辞世テンプレート(+75.0) みくる~(-39.0) 目の前からうせろ(-51.0) mohami(+15.0)
Honestly didn't expect the dora to come out after my riichi in East-1-2.  I was feeling pretty safe after another strong start (with a player at 2000 and another at 5200, it would be hard for mohami to get enough points to overtake me without preemptively busting someone.)  Absolutely gorgeous draws in the last hand.  That's the best kind of speed.

I guess I did have some stuff to say after all.  Anyways, 7 games, no 3rd or 4th place finishes.  That's not going to last, but so far I've at least been good at avoiding 4th.  If I can keep this up it should be relatively smooth sailing to 4dan!  Once I hit 1dan I'll gain rank points for 2nd place finishes, and 3rd place finishes don't lose you points, so it'll be a steady climb if I can maintain these stats.  Speaking of, here's where I stand now:

Oh yeah. Plus 120 rate, another rank up, higher hand win rate, lower deal-in rate.  My open and riichi rates are up a little, which means I'm playing more aggressively as well.  It seems to be paying off!  I might even hit 1800R within the next few sessions.  Then it's just a matter of maintaining it until 4dan.  I can do it!  Yeah!!

Today's lesson is, sometimes luck can protect you from your dumb mistakes.  Don't rely on it, though!  If you catch yourself making a dumb mistake, learn from it, and don't make it again.  Or, if you're me, make it at least 3 more times before you remember for good.  This is the surest path to success.

No comments:

Post a Comment