November 1, 2010

santa claus in the rain

Just a status update today.  I played 5 games Friday night and 5 games tonight.  The first session went OK, if uneventful.  The second session went...less than OK.  I don't really remember the happenings of the first session at this point; I don't think anything really incredible happened.  Apparently I stomped some guys when I got that 1st place win, though. I'll try to go over what happened in the second session after this logdump.

Game 1: 2位 辞世テンプレート(+6.0) 懲役200年(-40.0) jantome(+49.0) NoName(-15.0)
Game 2: 3位 辞世テンプレート(-22.0) ガッツ秀(+53.0) MAGGIO(-39.0) Re:V(+8.0)
Game 3: 2位 辞世テンプレート(+11.0) caco5824(-58.0) core&A(+68.0) モハメド・ナシ(-21.0)
Game 4: 1位 辞世テンプレート(+86.0) MOCVD(-50.0) Lupin3(-32.0) akinoko(-4.0)
Game 5: 2位 辞世テンプレート(+9.0) NoName(-19.0) aquafina(+44.0) horima(-34.0)

Game 6: 4位 辞世テンプレート(-36.0) 1eoantls(+11.0) 生羽隆志(+42.0) 北浦の赤犬(-17.0)
Basically, I'm an idiot and when I drew the 6s in East-2 I was like "hmm let's look at the discards, oh this passed, right? I think it passed *cut* wait that was before the riichi aaarrrrghhh I would have cut the 9m if I realized that sooner why am I so dumb"
I tried to recover after that but I couldn't win before a tsumo in East-3, and in East-4 I decided not to riichi in hopes of either hitting 1eoantls with the Ton or drawing it myself to pull the game into the South rounds, but instead I just ended up dealing in again.
Game 7: 3位 辞世テンプレート(-16.0) 19680206(+57.0) K‐5(-52.0) Lyric180(+11.0)
K-5 dealt into a lot of hands, but none of them were mine.
Game 8: 2位 辞世テンプレート(+5.0) ASUKA@N(+40.0) NoName(-15.0) みきと(-30.0)
My greed made me deal into a mangan East-1.  I passed on a ron in East-4-0 because I wanted to aim for more than 3rd and then immediately dealt in, and then dealt in again in East-4-1 without even hitting tenpai.  I took a big risk in East-4-2, throwing out a riichi with 2 already on the table, but it paid off.  Honestly I shouldn't have gotten 2nd here, this game was terrible.
Game 9: 2位 辞世テンプレート(+13.0) lowe(-39.0) kagerou7(-17.0) 天使ちゃんアジ天(+43.0)
This one wasn't terrible.  I just couldn't win that last hand to get into 1st.  I actually did something really dumb in the last hand and put myself into furiten, but someone tsumoed before that could backfire on me.
Game 10: 3位 辞世テンプレート(-21.0) NoName.(-39.0) NoName(+2.0) 随風(+58.0)
NoName. ragequit or something after dealing in during East-2.  He ended up dealing into an ippatsu mangan and letting the same player pon the dora in the next hand.  Having a player redname is really annoying...they turn into a tsumokiri bot and it completely changes the outcome of the game. There's nothing you can really do about it except hope that their draws favor you more than the other players. Sucks.

Upon reflection I didn't suck as hard as I thought I did.  I did still suck, though.  I'm catching myself cutting a tile and then going "oh wait fuck" a second later, which indicated that I should really think more when I'm playing.  Things usually turn out fine regardless, but making so many misses is going to be bad for me in the long run. Playing 10 games and getting a 1-5-3-1 spread is pretty disappointing as well.  I'm essentially just stagnating at this point.

Also, there were too many big hits this time; getting hit with a 1000 or 2000 point hand isn't the end of the world, but I'm eating too many mangans, and it's showing in these logs.  This session I tried to be a little more aggressive and work on faster wins, and although it didn't pay off big, I think it was helpful (or at least, it was just my bad luck that stopped me from winning in those cases, instead of my incompetence.)  Next session I'm going to try extra hard to not stupidly deal into big hands.  No more cutting the dora tile to maintain tenpai!  What am I thinking!


For consistency's sake, here are the stats.  Pretty much nothing has changed, though.  I didn't take a shot in between the two sessions but these are down from that midpoint, so that's a bummer.  I have the next two days off of work, so I should have time for another round sometime soon.  I got beaten up this time, so next time will be my comeback!  Look forward to it!

edit:  To make this post slightly less depressing, here is a completely mahjong-unrelated sweet thing I did today.  I've been playing this game fanatically for about 2 months trying to get a score like this, so the payoff pretty much made my day.


No comments:

Post a Comment