October 27, 2010

Missing Power

 A fairly uneventful block of games. I didn't deal in once, which was good, but I also only won 4 hands total in 5 games, which was boring.  This was also oya-baiman tsumo day; I saw 3 of them tonight (only one was mine, sadly.)  Two wins was enough to take me to 5kyu and I'm sitting at exactly R1600 right now, which isn't too bad.  Not a lot to say about these matches; I made about the usual number of discard mistakes, but it wasn't enough to ruin me this time. The night is still young, so after I take a break I'll probably play some more games.  I'll edit this post with those logs and the latest stat update when that happens.  In the meantime, here's the first session:

Game 1: 1位 辞世テンプレート(+70.0) NoName(+4.0) moos(-32.0) tome_268(-42.0)
Game 2: 1位 辞世テンプレート(+49.0) YaYaYa(-32.0) 栗花落(-21.0) yoshieye(+4.0)
Game 3: 2位 辞世テンプレート(+5.0) samurank(-18.0) WuKe(-36.0) LISP(+49.0)
Game 4: 3位 辞世テンプレート(-29.0) NoName(+64.0) 人肉市場(-39.0) 綾小路秀麻呂(+4.0)
Game 5: 3位 辞世テンプレート(-31.0) ryuparis(-41.0) ☆エリア51☆(+8.0) 青髪ピアス(+64.0)

All right, I downed an energy drink and threw on an old episode of Idle Thumbs to get me ultra-boosted for another 5 tonpuusen (tonpuusens? How do you pluralize this stuff anyways?)  Let's go!

Game 1: 2位 辞世テンプレート(+9.0) fktgt5(-36.0) Ki44(+44.0) ケロりん(-17.0)
Dealt in during East-3, but given the situation I don't really blame myself. Damaten 3-way waits :<
Game 2: 3位 辞世テンプレート(-17.0) kaka22(+3.0) steelo78(+45.0) 殿下(-31.0)
East-4: "Well, might as well throw down a riichi. If I can get a hit with the haku and pull out some uradora I might get first, and I don't think anythNO DON'T TAKE MY RIICHI STICK AAAAAA FUCK WHY"
Game 3: 3位 辞世テンプレート(-21.0) tba(+1.0) Yuihorie(+58.0) 美輪信者(-38.0)
East-2-0: "With the wall of the 6man this 8man would be the best discard here.  Aw what the hell.  Well, at least it's just some riichi-only garbage hanAW WHAT THE HELL"
Game 4: 1位 辞世テンプレート(+41.0) bck375(+10.0) deko(-15.0) aj(-36.0)
Game 5: 1位 辞世テンプレート(+56.0) サリーパパ(-22.0) OOO!!!(-51.0) 132009(+17.0)

As promised, here's the stats.  Deal-in rate is a little lower, which is good.  1st rate and 3rd rate went up, 2nd went down some, 4th dropped quite a bit.  Pleased about that as well!  I'd like to get 2nd more than 3rd, obviously, but escaping 4th place is more important, I think.  Rate's up almost 80 points from last time, too, so hell yeah.  I'm still catching myself making mistakes and taking some unwise risks, but as long as I'm making progress, we're golden.

Today's lesson is, riichi sticks can and will make or break your rank if you're not careful.  1000 points can go a long way in a close game!

4 comments:

  1. Deal in rate is kind of high, considering how many hands you're throwing away.

    When to and when not to fold is a judgement hard to explain, but try to improve that. Protip: if you finish your hand before everyone else is tenpai, you don't even have to fold.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice session though.

    Btw, Japanese words like "tonpuusen" have no plural. "One tonpuusen, two tonpuusen, three tonpuusen" is quite proper. Though converting it to an English pseudo-word and saying "tonpuusens" is not quite wrong either if you want to avoid confusion. Nyan.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I see. I don't really know what the sweetspot for those numbers is. I guess you want hand win rate to be as high as possible and deal-in rate to be as low as possible. Are the other two important to watch or are they more just an indicator of playing style? I suppose it's the win/loss rates that are most important in the end.

    At any rate, it's much lower than the .146 my other account has (゜~゜) I should work on my speed, though. I'll make that the focus of my next session.

    e: Ah! I thought 'tonpuusens' sounded kind of off but I wasn't sure. 'Hanchans' doesn't sound too bad though...well, English is weird.

    ReplyDelete
  4. No sweet spot, it's relative. But I think if you have a houjuu/deal-in of 0.09X'ish you might want to play your big hands no matter what, and think defense when you start more than three away. Just to make a solid style. .24X hand win rate is good. If you count ryuukyoku as the remaining .01X, it means you're winning a quarter of the hands, which is what's to be expected.

    You usually stay menzen (I'm more of a speed guy, myself) and don't open much your hand (.274 of opening), and declare riichi very often (.175). Agression is not bad. If you're playing Red 5's mahjong, you might want to open your hand and speed it up more often, when it's viable.

    The rest are:
    得点 (Profit) (on the left column total, on the right column average)
    順位 (Position)
    トップ率(1st place Rate)
    ラス率(Last place Rate)
    連対率(Renchan? Rate)

    Interesting enough, my accounts are also at 105 and 146'ish respectively. w
    I mostly deal in when I'm going for big hands, declared riichi, or in a tricky wait (one chance, no chance, hikkake, etc).

    I haven't had the time to quickly examine the replays to give a better opinion, but oh well.

    ReplyDelete