October 23, 2010

Afternoon tea dream

No real games today, but I've been playing a little jansou mode. Here's something I learned today: you should pay attention to what your hand actually is instead of just how many taatsu and mentsu you have. Here's why!

From the 3446 pattern, I will cut the 6. This is logical.

Tenpai at last! Time to declare riichi.

Tsumo! Thanks for the points, chumps. Hey wait a minute

ffffffffffwhoops there goes a missed haneman

I sure could use a 9000 point difference in my favor right about now

Sooooo yeah, don't play mahjong when you're running off of less than 4 hours of sleep. That's today's lesson!

4 comments:

  1. Hm, I probably would have made the same "mistake". Seeing how it was only east2 during that hand and you were first anyways, one can argue whether or not it really is a mistake, as other 2 mentsu required for a sanshoku are incomplete at that moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No mistake here.

    Discarding 6 from 3446 is tile efficient. Even -if- you completed the 456, your 3-6 wait is only sanshoku winning on the 6.

    Being hard-headed and clinging to a 46 kanchan would have been a mistake.

    12345688m 45p 344s

    is an 1shanten with a superior ukeire. 6 types, 20 tiles (raw) to tenpai. Substract the ones on the table, and that's 17 tiles. You should be able to get a tenpai of good shape in an average of 6 draws.

    Even the "it all came to worse" riichi-red dora would have been sufficient. But the best thing that can happen, is riichi ippatsu tsumo pinfu red-5 ura2. That is, if you play with efficiency on your hand's shape.

    A hand well played sir, but these things do happen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. In jansou mode, speed and efficiency is even -more- important. More so if you have a red dora.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yeah, cutting the 6s was the most efficient move, but I still facepalmed when I drew the 5s the next turn. My stats in jansou mode are arguably better than my regular stats, though, so maybe I shouldn't complain.

    ReplyDelete