October 21, 2010

ReSTARTER

Now that I've spent a bunch of time creating this blog and writing the intro post it's high time to play some dang old mahjong. Here's how this is going to work: I'll link the replay for every match and throw out some comments about how things went down, as well as my general thoughts about how I played. I'll try to point out the interesting rounds so you can skip through the replays to find the good parts if you want. Here we go!

Game 1: 3位 (辞世テンプレート(-19.0) NoName(+65.0) 安武弐号機(-55.0) フェンウェイ(+9.0))

It's disappointing to end up 3rd in my first match, but I'm pleased with how I played overall.
A small mistake in East-1 left me with my shimo-cha's winning tile in my hand, but I resisted the urge to force it and avoided dealing into a pseudo-mangan. Given the state of my hand at the turn before he declared riichi (12m 49p 23567789s SS) the better play would have been to cut the 4p; it was pretty clear the 4p and 9p were both going to have to go, unless I drew 3p or 5p sometime soon. It's a bad habit of mine to coast into cutting end tiles so I don't have to really think about what I'm doing.
I took apart my tenpai and avoided dealing into a houdei in South-2-1. Pleased with that. I lost more points being in no-ten than I would have from dealing in, but I think that was better than moving the match forward to South-3 and giving myself less time to make an upset.
After that a turn 4 ippatsu tsumo from my shimo-cha dropped me into 3rd and 安武弐号機 busted himself before I could make a recovery. It's a bummer, but I never dealt in and I got myself into tenpai a fair number of times, so I don't feel bad about it. Sometimes there's nothing you can do; that's the kind of game mahjong is.

Game 2: 2位 (辞世テンプレート(+16.0) ひとみ♪(-7.0) をっぱいもみもみ(+46.0) ちゃり乙(-55.0))

Another game cut short by someone busting.
No deal-ins again. I made the regrettable decision to not riichi upon hitting tenpai in South-1-1, which resulted in the aforementioned bust and me losing by 1000 points. I stand by the decision, though; I wasn't about to thrown down a riichi with two sets of dora tiles completely unaccounted for, especially with such a low-value hand. Of course, making the logical decision probably cost me the win. So it goes.

Game 3: 3位 (辞世テンプレート(-33.0) yokodrag(+98.0) ck4_0314(-12.0) takata(-53.0))

I decided to go for the 8p wait in East-4-1 because I figured with my discards the way they were it would probably come out if I threw down a riichi. That turned out to be the wrong decision, as my shimo-cha drew the 7p and cut it immediately and then I dealt into an ippatsu dealer baiman. There goes my .000 deal-in rate! After struggling intensely to pull myself out of sub-1000 point hell, I was saved from 4th place by my shimo-cha busting himself again. I must be bad luck or something.
It blows that after such a promising start I got destroyed by one error in my play, but I guess that's mahjong for you. This ain't no game where you get to make mistakes!


Game 4: 3位 (辞世テンプレート(-19.0) イサコ(+23.0) 燕雀217(-60.0) SAN-346(+56.0))

For some reason I cut the nan in East-1 instead of the haku or chun, which is what I'd usually do (and what I should have done) with a hand that's hinting at pinfu. This immediately backfired on me, as by turn 4 I should have already been in tenpai and turn 5 I should have pulled out an ippatsu tsumo. I didn't want to riichi for a worthless hand with a bad wait, but then I immediately drew my winning tile turn 6. I hesitated for a while but decided to take the cheap win because I didn't want to mess around in furiten while I try to get my hand into a better shape.
Trying to push my luck in South-2-1 got me a dealer-mangan hit for my troubles. I tried to recover but my shimo-cha got a hot streak and busted 燕雀217 to pull himself from 3rd to 1st. That's real good for him but I wasn't thrilled. It's too bad; I don't feel like I'm playing poorly or anything but somehow I just keep ending up in 3rd. Well, I'll play one more game for the night and then I think it's time to call it quits.

Game 5: 4位 辞世テンプレート(-39.0) Nikuman!(+2.0) ホエールばなな(-26.0) ミネラル(+63.0)

East-1 is basically a comedy of errors where I pick a tanki wait for some reason and then end up bailing and then getting into furiten in various ways because Nikuman! has a pon on the dora.
In South-1-0 I throw out a riichi with a shanpon wait on 9s and Xia because I figure there's a good chance they'll flow out. Instead I deal into a dealer mangan a couple turns later. Turns out he had an ankou of the dora. Whoops!
I tried various things in an attempt to recover but I couldn't win any hands after that, and I dropped into 4th in South-4-1 after a lucky haitei tsumo for a dealer mangan by ホエールばなな. So, there you go, I guess.

Uhh...I kind of figured this would go better than it did. I was pretty much hoping for a 5-win streak or something awesome like that, but instead I played 5 games and didn't win once. I only dealt in 3 times (2 of which were after declaring riichi) and it seemed like I won plenty of hands but it just wasn't enough this time. Pretty disappointing. I guess there are days like this sometimes. xKime told me before that I seem to not make many big mistakes, but my little mistakes add up and pull my rank down. Maybe that was the case this time!

Today's lesson appears to be "if you are VgameT's shimo-cha, you are probably either going to bust or get 1st." I think we can all learn something from this.


Here's where we're at now. Not too good! I have tomorrow off work so I'll probably play a few more then. Hopefully I'll be able to at least hit 9kyu next time!

6 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, I seriously suggest you play tonpuusen until you reach third dan. With a solid game, you can make it in more or less a hundred games. If you do hanchan, you're losing your time. Especially in the general lobby.

    The following comments are exclusively theoric, in practice you may have whatever tactics you please.

    First game, east 1:
    I think cutting chun is too rash. 1m is a better candidate for the opening. It's hard to make mentsu of good shape with 1-9's anyway, and you're looking a little bit ready for hon-itsu if you draw some more tiles. If your hand progressed towards something else, -then- chun is a good discard. Same thing with the following East discard. If you were to draw the Dora pair/ankou, then forget hon-itsu obviously.

    You generally discard yakuhai too early. If your hand has a bad shape (penchan/kanchan palace), try to hold on to them for a little longer. If your hand doesn't progress towards good shape when you're still holding them, then shibori. Don't think of it as "holding a dangerous live tile" in your hand, but as preventing the "yakuhai dora 3" of your opponent. If it gets discarded, discarding it is not bad anyway.

    East 3, well riichi'd. Nice kan-ura.

    East 4, well spotted. Many people would insta-riichi seeing a 3-sided-wait, but you correctly spotted your wait as 1/3 dead. Damaten is a good move, being on first place. Also preventing the dealer who's in second place from making a hand.

    South 1: it's just a quirtk, but 9p is a better discard than dora 1s. This is because you have a 6p, so drawing 8p is not a taatsu fail. Having 1-5s, you might draw a 3s for a ryankan. It's not something to pursue, but it's still better than discarding a perfectly usable dora tile.
    Pon at the first south that came out was too hasty. Your hand still has bad shape, it's not fast and it's not high scoring.

    South 2: When discarding a 24557 shape, I suggest you start with the 2 and later the 7. The reason is, if you unexpectedly completed the shape next turn, you're more likely to end up with a good wait from 4557 than 2455. Even if the 7 is coming out later because it's not a very efficient shape.

    With the wall on 2p, I find it unbeliavable you actually stopped on that 1p. It's a live tile, but... lol, sixth sense ftw.

    On the third renchan, I think in -that- case your hand had enough of a shape to call the hatsu for a quick win. Pon on 1s is easy, and you can also connect to the dora. There's not much of a reason to wait; take those honba bonus now and prevent the guys in 3rd/4th from raising up.

    South 4, there wasn't much of a reason to push, but it's okay as you didn't deal in.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Second game, East 1, second renchan, seventh discard:

    You were with this shape:
    246m 23456p 78s NNN tsumo: 7p (dora 2p)

    I think discarding N here is a miss. Pinfu is not guaranteed (if you draw 69s, you are left with a kanchan wait), the fastest wait to tenpai is to discard 2m.

    Tenpai with good shape: 456m
    Tenpai with bad shape: 69s (tanki) 78s (kanchan)

    The difference here is, even if you draw a 69s you can temporarily make a tanki wait and improve it to a multi-sided wait in the next 2-3 turns (thanks to your pinzu shape). I think there is a big contrast there. In this case, it's better not to fixate on a pair. Drawing 3m here was wishful thinking working out. Still, pretty funny you actually drew it.

    East 2, discarding the dora while your hand was still in progress was kind of a miss. Drawing the pair was just bad luck, but it could have been avoided.

    You're a very lucky man when it comes to drawing kanchan/penchan, though.

    East 3, 5th discard. I think that, going into your fourth pair, 9p is a wider discard. Afterwards, rather than 6s, 4s was a wider discard as well.

    Renchan was okay. Fast easy win.

    Following renchan, the dora came out too hastily. There's no saying "oh, it gets dangerous later and I'm first." Anyone could be ready to call the dora, and it is even a useful tile for yourself. South was a superior discard. You already had enough honors as safe tiles. Also, you should take better care of your double East.

    South 1
    7p is overdoing it. Red 5s is unthinkable. Was there any need to aim for such a hand? You are first, ensambling a slow hand, and for the dealer a 3fan hand would leave him first. I think that was a place to play by tile efficiency/tenari and take a win.

    Just a nitpick, but in the last hand, a fast win is a priority, seeing that even a mangan tsumo from the dealer would kill the guy in fourth, of a 3han ron would kill him too. He's not likely to fold. Throwing a hasty riichi might grant you the win. discarding 4s was more efficient than discarding the pair of 1p. No need to aim for sanshoku here. Still, the 3-6 wait riichi was semi-mandatory. The worst thing that could happen to you score-wise, was dropping down to third. Yet, you still ended up third. You accomplished the same thing without taking the chance for first place.

    ReplyDelete